greedydancer said: 2 and/or 14 and/or 9! That's a really interesting question and I wish I'd thought to put it in originally :p
2. Is there a trope, style or technique you really want to try?
I’d like to try playing with a text where I had permission to be looser with it and improvise a bit, especially if it was a multi-voice project so that I could improvise along with somebody else, but still within the structure of a general plot that was already set, like how TV or movie actors improvise some of their lines while still also following the overall script. It’s possible that the podfic challenge I told you about that I’m hoping to run in January will be a good playground for that kind of thing!
9. Talk about a podfic meta issue you feel strongly about.
I got this twice, so I will address two different issues. Here I’ll talk about the idea of podfic as transformative. I feel very strongly that podfic IS an artform but is NOT transformative of the fic being podficced. Or at least, there’s no definition of transformative work that I understand that would include podfic being transformative of fic. Furthermore, I feel that a lot of discussions about podfic get derailed by somebody (usually a podficcer) coming along and trying to claim that podfic is transformative. It immediately draws everyone’s attention to arguing against that one point, and the rest of their points don’t get discussed or taken seriously. Even worse is when people explicitly base other claims they make on the claim that podfic is transformative, along the lines of “Podfic is transformative, therefore podficcers shouldn’t have to immediately take down their podfic when asked.” If the argument is posed that way, then as soon as somebody successfully argues against the transformativity part the rest of the claim gets thrown out, even though there are a lot of other potential good reasons for that claim (e.g. “There are some situations where when the author asks for a takedown, an alternate solution would get their needs met but they haven’t thought of it yet, therefore podficcers should get an opportunity to suggest those alternate solutions before just agreeing no-questions-asked to a takedown, because there’s a chance it could lead to everybody being happy with the outcome”). Also, transformativity is, I think, given FAR too much weight in fandom in general. Yes, it’s a nice legal defense, but it’s not what makes our fanworks good or valuable or valid. There’s a great comment here from a recent meta discussion that has really gotten me thinking about this concept.
I already answered 14 here and I would reanswer if I could think of something else interesting to say, but I can’t. I’m so glad that I don’t have to just choose one character to voice, though!
theargentumlupine said: 6, 29, 30?
6. Link to one of your favorite works and explain why you’re proud of it.
Right now my favorite is Maybe With Me, which I’ve been listening to a lot. There are some bits that I wish I had done differently, but overall I like the sound of my own voice for once. There are a few scenes where five different characters talk to each other, and I didn’t do separate voices for them or anything, but I enjoyed recording those scenes so much and I can hear it in my voice every time.
29. Talk about your current wips.
Right now I have 2 WIPs, but I think I’m going to delete one and start from scratch (it’s short and I said the wrong name in one line! I think it might flow better/have a more consistent tone if I try again, but I’m afraid to listen to it now.) The other one is for Dylan/Harry, and I am really excited about it! I think it’s a good fit for me because it is very funny and has some very ~excited~ characters. I’ve only edited about 20 minutes so far, and I am paranoid as always that Audacity will have eaten a ten minute gap or something later in the file and I’ll have to rerecord and won’t be able to match the energy. Also, I’ve moved since I made the recording, so the ambient sound might not match. But so far, so good.
30. Talk about a piece of feedback that made your day.
I received positive feedback by email once from someone who said my podfic was the first podfic she’d listened to. That was amazing. And she said my reading sounded relaxed and natural, which is exactly the kind of thing I like to hear. :)
What do you guys think of my coloured pastels? :O
A modified version of this meme for fic writers!
- Describe your comfort zone—a typical you-podfic.
- Is there a trope, style or technique you really want to try?
- How many podfics are on your “to record” list right now? Care to share one of them?
- Share one of your strengths.
- Share one of your weaknesses.
- Link to one of your favorite works and explain why you’re proud of it.
- Which podfic has been the hardest to make?
- Which podfic has been the easiest to make?
- Is podficcing your main fandom activity or one amongst many?
- Rec a podficcer whose work you love.
- What’s the best podficcing advice you’ve ever come across?
- What’s the first piece of advice you would pass along to a new podficcer?
- Is there a podfic out there you’d like to repod?
- If you could only voice one character for the rest of your life, who would it be and why?
- Do you always record the text in chronological order?
- Do you do any prep before you start recording?
- What does your current recording setup look like?
- Describe your perfect podficcing conditions.
- What does your editing process typically look like?
- Have you ever modified the text when recording? How did you go about it?
- Is there a podfic of yours you’d like to remake from start to finish?
- Have you ever deleted one of your published podfics?
- Does anyone hear your podfics before you post them?
- Have you ever participated in podfic challenges? Which was your favourite?
- How do you feel about collaborations - between podficcers or podficcer/other fan creators?
- Do you take requests?
- How do you feel about recording explicit scenes?
- What does your posting/sharing process look like?
- Talk about your current wips.
- Talk about a piece of feedback that made your day.
Feel free to modify/add/remove as you please! :)
If any of these are interesting to you, feel free to ask! Goodness knows I’m always happy to talk about podfic.